Second Sunday of Lent (Year A)

Second Sunday of Lent March 05, 2023

Readings:  Genesis 12:1-4; 2 Timothy 1:8-10; Matthew 17:1-9

(image courtesy: Google)

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all." This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher: "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.  Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today."

In the first reading, Abram is called by God to leave his home and kin and go to an unknown land. In an act of great trust, he obeys. He does not know what lies ahead, but he walks in faith. We must also walk in faith, especially during our Lenten journey. His faith is a result of his encounter with God.

On this the second week of Lent, we are given the hopeful image of Jesus being transfigured before the eyes of Peter, James and John.  They witness a small glimpse of His eternal glory and radiance as the Son of God and the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity.  They are stunned, in awe, amazed and filled with the greatest joy.  Jesus’ face shines like the sun and His clothing is so white, so pure, so radiant that they shine as the brightest and most pure light imaginable.

Why did this happen?  Why did Jesus do this and why did He permit these three Apostles to see this glorious event?  And to ponder further, why do we reflect upon this scene in the beginning of Lent?

Simply put, Lent is a time to examine our lives and to see our sins most clearly.  It’s a time we are given each year to pause from the confusion of life and to reexamine the road we are on.  Looking at our sins can be hard.  It can be depressing and can tempt us to depression, hopelessness and even despair.  But the temptation to despair must be overcome.  And it is not overcome by ignoring our sin, rather, it is overcome by turning our eyes to the power and glory of God.

The Transfiguration is an event given to these three Apostles to give them hope as they prepare to face the suffering and death of Jesus.  They are given this glimpse of glory and hope as they prepare to see Jesus embrace their sins and endure the consequences.

During this Lenten season we can reflect on the following: Jesus has another experience of his Father identifying him as his beloved Son. Through our baptism we received the same identity as Jesus did at his baptism, being beloved sons or daughters. As this profound awareness of Jesus as beloved got him through the tough times in his life, does our identity as being deeply loved by God comfort us when the going gets tough?

The disciples were terrified by the experience of seeing Jesus this way. But his word to them was: “Rise and do not be afraid.’ When we are afraid and fearful, do we turn let Jesus comfort us?

Do we keep the end of our Lenten journey in focus: celebrating the death and resurrection of Jesus? Is our Lenten prayer focused on letting the love of Jesus in his death and resurrection strengthen our hope?

Every time we gather for the Eucharist we experience a moment of transfiguration where our divine Lord is transfigured before our eyes in the forms of bread and wine. May the reassurance of God’s loving presence with us at communion take away all fear and doubt from our hearts and strengthen us to get up and face with courage the challenges and trials, sufferings and, yes, death, that we must pass through before we can share in the divine glory.

Happy Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment