Sunday Reflections

Twenty First Sunday of the year August 22, 2021

Joshua 24:1-2, 15-18; Ephesians 5:21-32; John 6:60-69

Image Courtesy: Mangalore Diocese

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.  "This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher: "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this. They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.  Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"  The entire controversy ended with this response.

The readings of today are a rousing call to introspection for each of us and they challenge us to reflect on our total commitment to following Jesus and staying with him alone. In the first reading Joshua aware that the people of Israel had a penchant for creating false gods and worshipping these challenges the people of Israel to choose, a choice that will determine and have consequences for their living as the true children of God and enjoying his favour and blessing as his children.

The Gospel text in John which comes at the end of the chapter 6, known as the Bread of Life Discourse contains something that is implicit in all the passages of the entire Gospels. It forces us to make a choice, to come to a decision.

It is little wonder that the disciples found the discourse of Jesus hard. The Greek word is Skleros which means not hard to understand; but hard to accept. The disciples knew quite well that Jesus had been claiming to be the very life of God came down from heaven, and that no one could live this life or face it without submitting to him.

Here we come upon a truth that re-emerges in every age. Time and again it is not the intellectual difficulty which keeps people from becoming Christians; it is the height of Christ's moral demand. At the heart of a religion there must be mystery, for the simple reason that at that heart there is God. In the nature of things man cannot ever fully understand God. Any honest thinker will accept that there must be mystery.

In the Gospel we find, the evangelist John to make it clear to his own community and ultimately even those who were physically present with Jesus and had heard him teach had difficulty in believing him. We today are at no disadvantage because we are attempting to follow Jesus centuries after he was on earth. The key was never his physical presence. The key has always been faith and from that perspective, we are absolutely at no disadvantage. Jesus had explained and described what communion with his Body and his Blood consisted of, and what its fruits were: to live in him in his own divine life which he himself gets from his Father. Jesus had said: "He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me."

We need to understand that Eucharist is a Mystery of Faith. The Eucharist is that divine reality that unites, or which divides. It unites if one believes in it, and it divides if one does not believe in it, or if one does not believe in it correctly. Faith is a supernatural virtue that resides in our intellect: faith requires some human support, that of our human knowledge, a knowledge which may consist of simple ideas, but which is often made up of more or less elaborate judgments. Faith, a gift of God, serves to lift up our soul and spirit above material and corporeal contingencies. It is to this supernatural attitude that Jesus tries to lead his disciples.

During this Covid time we had to make deliberate choices to follow Jesus. We had to remain faithful to Him, no matter how hard the things were with us. It is a narrow path. A path that is less travelled. May this Eucharist fill us with that Faith of Peter, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

 (You are most welcome to add your thoughts and reflections in the comment section below)

Happy Sunday

 

No comments:

Post a Comment